Frog Eye Salad (Fruit Salad)
(Shared recipe submitted by Sandy.)
Sandy writes: "This is my favorite salad! It stays well in the refrigerator, but we hardly ever have it around long. It usually gets eaten up right away."
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound Acini De Pepe pasta (tiny pasta)
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 small bag mini marshmallows
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
- 3 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small container (12 ounces) whipped topping, thawed
Combine sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in 1-3/4 cups reserved pineapple juice and the beaten eggs. Cook over moderate heat, stirring until thickened. Add lemon juice. Cool.
Bring 3 quarts water, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 tablespoon cooking oil to a boil; add the pasta. Cook at rolling boil until pasta is done. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again. Mix cooled pineapple juice mixture and cooked pasta. Add box of vanilla pudding and the vanilla extract. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours. Add marshmallows, mandarin oranges, pineapple and whipped topping. Mix well. Chill and serve.
Notes: If you are in a hurry, make the pineapple mixture, and make sure you cool the pasta well with lots of cold water. Then combine everything at once. To make it more festive add maraschino cherries and colored marshmallows.
About Sandy: Sandy's e-mail address is Oommpapa@aol.com.