Creamy Stuffed Shells
(Shared recipe submitted by Sue.)
Sue writes: "Here is a recipe that is great to use chunks of leftover holiday turkey or chicken. You can also use fresh uncooked boneless chicken breast with this or even ham. You can omit the chicken if you wish and just have a veggie pasta dish."
- 1 box jumbo stuffing shells
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 packages (10-ounces each) frozen broccoli, thawed and well drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- About 1-1/2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup light cream or half and half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350° F. Cook shells according to package. Don't overcook as they will cook more in the oven. Cool the shells in a large bowl of cold water and set aside.
Sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Combine the broccoli, cooked onions, mozzarella cheese, sour cream, egg and chicken and set aside.
Melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour, instant bouillon and pepper. Stir in the milk and the cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute until thickened.
Remove the shells from the water, drain and pat dry with paper towels. Spread a small amount of sauce on bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Stuff each shell with the broccoli and chicken mixture. Put shells in the baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over the shells. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Additional recipes submitted by Sue:
Click here for information and to browse all the shared recipes.