Penne Rigate Pasta with Green Olives
(Shared recipe submitted by William "Uncle Bill" Anatooskin.)
- 4 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounces penne rigate pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, including liquid (tomatoes crushed)
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives with pimiento
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried basil)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (or grated Parmesan)
In a large cooking pot, add water, salt and vegetable oil; bring to a rolling boil. Add penne pasta and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until al dente; drain well.
While pasta is cooking, in a large frying pan, add olive oil, onion and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes including liquid, sliced olives, hot pepper flakes, seasoning salt and chopped fresh basil; stir well and cook for about 3 minutes. Add cooked pasta and stir well to coat and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Adjust seasonings to taste. If you prefer a spicier taste, add additional hot red pepper flakes or some cayenne pepper. Sprinkle each serving with grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Additional recipes submitted by William:
Click here for information and to browse all the shared recipes.